BQE invites the members of its sponsoring guilds to participate in this special challenge.
“Spool”, as defined by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Spool, a usually low-flanged or unflanged cylinder on which thread, wire, cable, paper, film, straps, or tape is wound for distribution or use.
- Bobbin, a cylinder or reel on which a quantity of thread, yarn or wire is wound for use in a particular machine or device
- Cable reel used to carry various types of electrical wires
Quilters, however, when hearing this word, have many different definitions for “spool”, and all sorts of images come to mind... spools of thread, antique wooden spools, and spool quilt patterns, to name a few. But as we know, there are many more ideas out there for all of us!! Use your imagination and make a challenge quilt!
There are no fabric requirements for this challenge, but there are some rules:
- Size can be any combination of a length and width with the perimeter totaling NO MORE than 144”; your quilt can be any size you want smaller than 144” total, as long as the 4 sides do not add up to more than 144”. Examples of possible quilt sizes: 52”x20”, 48”x24”, 42”x30”, 36”x36”, or any odd size whose length and width are less than or equal to 144”.
- Orientation can be either portrait or landscape.
- The entry must be a standard quilt with three layers, and quilted – creative finishing is allowed.
- There must be a 4” sleeve for hanging and a label on the back of the quilt.
- The BQE Challenge is open to any member of the five (5) Broward County Quilt Guilds: Coral Springs, East Sunrise, Quilting in the Pines, Southern Stars and West Broward. There is no entry fee.
- Only one entry per person. Use the regular BQE quilt entry form for your challenge quilt.
- Information for your challenge quilt entry delivery to the show will be the same as for all BQE
Quilts will be judged on theme interpretation, construction and overall appearance. Cash prizes will be awarded. Challenge quilts are also eligible for the Viewer’s Choice
Quilting in the Pines